Friday, November 9, 2018

Perspective

Yesterday, I had a lot of art thoughts rumbling around in my head. There was painting class, plus I came home and painted more after class. When I was out and about during the day, I was keenly aware of buildings.  Mostly, it was noticing their tilt given my point of perspective.

There are several blogs of Urban Sketchers that I will look at from time to time.  In Stephanie Bower’s blog, she did 10 posts with sketching tips this summer.  In the past two weeks, I’ve been reading one or two of them when I have time.  The ones herehere, and here sort of blew my mind.  For the most part, I don’t get perspective in drawing.  On a macro level, I’m still lost, but on a micro level there are certain concepts starting to make a bit more sense.  I need to keep working through these blog posts, take a break, and work through them again.  At some point, I might even try to read about perspective in drawing.  When I’ve tried before, the information got too advanced too quickly and I got lost and frustrated.

Yesterday, something clicked.  When I looked at buildings, I could see the different corners reaching up to the sky and how they tilted at angles that went from less extreme to more.  It’s subtle, but it’s there and I thought about and imagined lines going up and meeting in the great vanishing point in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment