Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I Don't Care What Color The Water Actually Is

When I started this one I said to myself "I don't care what color the water actually is", so I just tried to stay true to the values. I had to repaint the grassy area, since it was too dark originally. Now that I'm  done and looking at the picture, the sky turned out too dark. Darn! While I was painting I noticed how light the sky was and thought I had my paint light enough.

#235 - Bridge In Minnehaha Park - 8" x 8" - paper
Overall, I am feeling less intimated about approaching a landscape painting (a/k/a - those things in life with many, many elements to figure out), at least in the comfort of my home. It's easier to say to myself, I think I'm going to try this part in this way and see what happens and that is a good place to be.

Lately, I've also been thinking about super vivid mode. My camera has a setting called super vivid and it helps create beautiful pictures. Sometimes, it feels to me like it's cheating a bit, by enhancing reality. This slightly puritanical outlook carries over into my painting. If the colors are on the muddy side in my source material, I tend to stay too faithful to that and that doesn't make a very interesting painting. It's also a weird quirk, since I love saturated colors. With this one, I turned up the super vivid setting in my head, although I went more muddy with the bridge and the upper trees and sky since they were very muted in my picture.

2 comments:

  1. your brushstrokes are so lovely. I think you are able to evoke the calmness of the place but still capture the activity and liveliness of the moving water. and, I'm going to copy you and transition to using a bigger than 6x6 size

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I look at my own work, the stuff I don't like grabs my attention so much more than the positives. I think you can relate. It's nice hearing what other people see.

      I do like the 8" x 8" size for landscapes.

      Delete