Sunday, September 18, 2016

Contour Drawing - Update 1

I'm 3 days into my goal to do at least 10 minutes of contour drawing every day and here are some of my drawings. With each item, I'm trying to go slowly with the lines I draw and focus more on looking at the item that I'm drawing. It's not blind contour drawing, but I'm leaning that way. I'm also trying to draw "confident" lines.

One of the things that I'm learning is the way that my eyes lie. This should be useful, since it can help me learn how to compensate or figuring out when I need to really, really slow down to see.


The pencil sharpener was from Thursday. I was trying to draw at a 1 to 1 scale. My drawing was much larger with a scale of approximately 1 to 1.75.  The strawberry hullers weren't too bad.  When I drew the one on the left, my first long line across the top looked wrong to me.  It was enjoyable to see how the drawing came together and the first line worked pretty well!


In painting, silverware has been my nemesis. This one is not too bad.


I'll return to my beloved Bee House tea pot.  When I'm drawing, I'm not taking measurements, but I do stop to look to see the relative comparisons of how one part of an object compares to another. When I was done drawing, I  measured from the top edge of the lid to the bottom and compared it to the height of the tea pot.  In actuality, the lid was been approximately 1/3 of the total height.  When drawing, I sure did not see it that way!  Again, it's a good lesson about how hard it is to truly see!

I miss having the time to paint and it's going to be hard to squeeze it in this week.  It's good to have this goal to work on, since I can fit it into a busy schedule. Contour drawing is really, really fun. Plus, I still feel like I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment