Friday, September 2, 2016

Busy, Busy, Busy, Busy

Life, in general, and work, in particular, got very busy this week!  I am looking forward to a long weekend and getting back to my painting and drawing,  It's become a habit, a good one, and I truly miss it when I can't make time for it.

Last week, I took a quick buzz through this blog.  It has more than 100 posts. I made a list of things I've learned or observations that I want to revisit in the next several weeks.

Drawing is an integral part of painting.  At first, I resented the time that it took to make a drawing. Picking up the paint brushes and putting paint on them was painting, not the work that comes before that!!  Eventually, I made peace with the fact that drawing is an integral part of the process. Now, I enjoy it. Many times, but not always, a good drawing leads to a good painting.  Over time, I'm figuring out what lines and "reminders" that I need in the drawing, so that I don't get lost. One of the things that I recently started doing was marking the edges of things before I start to draw.  That helps, immensely!

I also like drawing in a sketch book, especially contour drawing. Very, very slowing, I'm working through the exercises in several drawing books.  If I ever have a luxurious surplus of time (meaning that I've already had time to draw and paint something), I like to pick up a pencil and try to do a quick sketch of something.  My hope is to have more time this fall and winter to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment