Friday, March 29, 2019

Cabin Hummingbird

When I was at my friend’s cabin last year, I took a number of close-up pictures of hummingbirds. Plus, another friend took a bunch for me too. I thought hummingbirds mostly hovered whil they ate. Not the cabin humminbirds. They like to settle on a perch.

#317 - Cabin Hummingbird - 5" x 7" - paper
It could use a background, but I don’t know what will work. The cabin is in the background and it is a darker red. The black gesso is dramatic, so I left it “as is”.

This painting is small, so the the hummingbird is very small to work on. I’ve tried others in this same size and found myself trying to paint the bird. This time, I stayed focused on painting the values and value shapes.

By the way, the other orange cat showed up this morning to “help” me photograph my work. I hadn’t even straightened the painting and he appeared from nowhere. This is Hammett.  Usually, Chandler is my photography assistant. It cracks me up that I am getting a series of photos like this.

1 comment:

  1. i love your cats. if you ever need a catsitter let me know.

    ReplyDelete