Friday, March 31, 2017

Why I Need This

It's been a busy week. On top of the normal non-creative activities, I started working with a new client and also worked on my taxes. Last night, I pulled out my cheap sketchbook for scribbles and just drew shapes that were around me. This is really cheap paper. I probably should not draw on both sides of the page, but I do anyway. This paper is for rough stuff and for scribbles.

After warming up, I noticed that he was both holding a cat and a phone, so I started a fast, mostly blind contour sketch. Of course, both he and the cat moved before I got very far. I started another drawing below it and did not get very far on that one either.


All in all, I probably spent 10 minutes or so doing this type of sketching, but it was enough to clear and relax my mind. I crossed over. What I mean by that is that I was caught up in seeing the shapes in front of me and trying to capture them. Everything else melted away in my mind. The constant background buzz in my brain stopped. It is so refreshing and cleansing for one's brain. I really needed it.

Someday, I want to have the time and ability to capture entire scenes, but even if I never get to that point I see value in these little scribbles.

On a different note, I did paint this earlier in the week. I got caught up in trying to paint the frog, rather than trying to paint the shapes and values.


No comments:

Post a Comment