Wednesday, April 27, 2016

January 2016 - The Journey Begins

At the same time that I decided that I wanted to learn how to create art in 2016, an online crafting community, called Creativebug started the year with a January drawing challenge.  Creativebug charges a nominal monthly fee.  In return, you get access to their online classes.  In January, the instructor for the 31 day drawing challenge was Lisa Congdon.

Each day in January, you could download that day's video.  Lisa would show 3-5 different ways to draw whatever that day's item was.  The goal was to try drawing every day.  Participants were encouraged to post their drawings to Instagram.

The January drawing challenge gave me a place to start.  I have no drawing experience.  I had no idea how to represent something in the form of a drawing.  The whole idea of even trying was a little scary and intimating.  It was immensely helpful to have someone give you options.  Plus, Lisa's style is representation, which made it easier to try.  

In hindsight, it also was helpful to be encouraged to post a picture of each day's drawing to Instagram.  I don't want to be self-conscious (although I certainly get that way at times) about being a beginner in this new world and I want to capture the experience and journey.  I figured out that there are no art police out there ready to take away my pen, pencil and paper.  Occasionally, I would get an encouraging comment from someone. Lastly, I could look at what other people were drawing. Although the blog is new, it's working much better for what I want to document.  Still, I'm grateful to Instagram.  

Here are two drawings from the first week of January.  Most days, I tried to draw the chosen object "my way" in addition to the way that Lisa showed.  On 01/01/16 (day 1), this was the tree in the lower left-hand corner.  Day 3 was rough.  I still have trouble with perspective and chairs with normal looking legs are still beyond me, but I keep trying!!


This is my favorite drawing from week 2.  I pulled out a combined broom and dust pan in my home and tried to draw that, in addition to the options that Lisa presented.


In week 3, I started to settle in and have a little more fun.  I started to put a tiny, tiny amount of attention to trying to fill the page with some sort of composition.



No comments:

Post a Comment