Monday, April 25, 2016

First Painting

I vaguely remember art class in grade school and have no recollection of any other experiences after that. In the last several years, I would occasionally think about learning to draw, but never made any concrete effort.

All of that changed near the end of 2015.  I signed up for a 3 hour class at Wet Paint with Kat Corrigan on December 29, 2015. It was an acrylic class.  In the class description, it was made very clear that all you needed to do was be able to follow directions. The assignment was to create a negative space tree.  It was a blast.  Each class participant was given paint in white, red, yellow, blue with a green undertone, and  blue with a red undertone.  I love color and was mesmerized by mixing and playing with color.  I could have mixed and mixed and mixed. Eventually, I did follow the instructions and ended up with my first painting on canvas.


I bought some supplies and started experimenting with painting on my own.  Here are some other trees that I painted early on.




This next one was inspired by a Charles Beck wood block print.  I really like this one.


I played with making the tree into a birch tree.


I did more. Here is one last one to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment