Monday, March 11, 2019

Not One Stroke Per Color

One stroke per color went out the door with this one. I painted this on Saturday.  When I need to focus more on building the shape, I abandon doing one stroke per color. This turned out more muted than I planned, but I got closer to the shape, including the top than I had.

#311 - Sumo Mandarin - 6" x 6" - paper
Tomorrow, I am taking a several hour drawing class during the day at Wet Paint. It's called "The Science of Seeing and Its Impact on Portraiture".  Part of the class description said "This class teaches the science and psychology of how our eyes and brain see and interpret visual information. It will also teach you why drawing errors occur and how we can use our bodies and time-tested techniques to draw more accurately", which is why I wanted to sign up for it.  For me, it's also a chance to rest and focus before his surgery on Thursday morning.  

I've been thinking about and trying to notice what and how I see. I copied the following from today's posting of a blog I follow.  The overall post is a big long and rambling, but it contained a lot of good stuff.  It was from an interview from On Being that Krista Tippett (not my favorite person in the world, but someone who does interesting interviews with people) did with Maira Kalman.   

"I absolutely think that a museum is one of the deepest places of meditation that there could be, maybe even more than a library, because you’re looking. In a museum, you’re not reading — I mean, you’re reading a little bit, but you’re basically just wandering and looking. And once again, the function of the brain, what happens to the brain is very different than, I don’t know, than being in a supermarket — even though I love being in a supermarket. So wait a minute. I love supermarkets. I love to look at all the packaging. To me, that’s a little bit like a museum. But that’s a digression. I think that we have the opportunity to understand silence around us, and really looking, all the time. There’s always the opportunity. And there’s never a lack of things to look at, and there’s never a lack of time not to talk."

No comments:

Post a Comment