Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Paint Strokes

While I made a promise to myself that I would not go crazy with either critiquing or culling my monthly Art 4 Shelter submissions, the memory of the paint strokes in this one kept bugging me. I decided to revisit it before painting my September submission. I painted it without looking at the first version until I was done.

#259 - Cabin Dock at Sunset - 5" x 7" - paper
I like this version much better and will submit this one.

The lesson in this is that the direction of paint strokes matters. While values and the value shapes are important, so is how you "build' the value shapes through paint strokes. This is a hard lesson for me, since I don't have an intuitive sense of this and need to learn from trial and error. That's why I wanted to redo this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment