Thursday, March 23, 2017

Still Here!

Actually, I never went away. There just hasn't been much to post, since it's been busy. Several days, all I did was pick up a sketchbook and a pen and rapidly work on blind contour to semi-blind contour drawing. I would make one drawing, draw over that, and so on. The cats were mostly my inspiration and, if they moved in such a way that I could not see the other ear, but I could still see the body, I just went with it. It was very freeing and fun, but it's not much to look at. I call this creating scribble pages. Here are a couple of small sections on one page.


Add caption
I also moved on to week 3 of the Seeing class at Sketchbook Skool. Since I never had time to do any of the week 2 homework, I jumped ahead to week 3. I'll go back and do the week 2 stuff at some point. For week 3, the instructor gave several examples of continuous line drawing and really slowing down to see what you are drawing. We were instructed to take 3 minutes to draw a simple object. Next up is to take 10 minutes to draw 3 objects in the same manner and to paint it in watercolor. So far, I've one a number of one object continuous line drawings.


Finally, I painted last night! It felt good. Actually, I did two paintings from the same picture. The first one was so rusty, it's in the garbage. The second one went better.  


Look at all that black background showing through for his dark spots and stripes. This is a first! Also, I drew this from a picture that was gridded in four equal sections, but on my "canvas" I only marked the center horizontally and vertically, so more of the underlying drawing was done by comparing landmarks to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment