Friday, June 11, 2021

Hello There

 Hello to my blog. I’ve missed you. 

In my time away, I have kept up with daily project work and I completed Suhita Shirodkar’s class. It covered a lot of ground in 4 sessions. That is not a criticism, although the leap in the 4th class was more than I was willing to do, so I did my own thing and did not turn in homework to be evaluated. 

I still have a long way to go with tackling figure drawing. Here are a couple of attempts from Suhita’s class when we were working from photos. These are all fairly small drawings and the point is to try to capture people in a sketchy type of way, but where there is also aliveness and a sense of movement. I found that I could start to work some things out if I practiced drawing the same person more than once. By the third try, I thought I was getting more believable posture and "movement".


I am starting to develop a dislike of feet, since I just can’t make out their shape. 


The leap in class 4 which I was just not prepared to make was trying to sketch an entire market scene from one of 6 phots that she provided from a trip to Barcelona. It was just too hard to figure out what to include, modify, how to represent everything and so on, so I just didn’t do it. Instead, I did play around with trying to capture and fit in just the people relative to each other in some scenes as a way to push myself a bit. Here’s an example of that. 


While I think all of this has been good, I’ve really been hitting portraits and figure drawing a lot these past few months. It’s been good, but  truthfully it's starting to feel like work. Since I started a new job 4 weeks ago, I don't need more things which feel like work, since I am still in that stage where I am just plain tired a lot of the time, from getting up to speed on things. 

That means I need something that feels more like rainbows, unicorns, and cotton candy, so I’m diverting to something fun and not intense for now. I am trying a new medium for me, gouache.  I saw that Shari Blaukopf had an online class on painting scenes with skies in gouache and it seemed like a good way to learn about this medium. I signed up and bought supplies. 

Here’s the first attempt. I think my clouds and the hills in the background look a little flat, but this is a first attempt. 


I will get back to having more focus with defined projects at some point, but for now I just need some fun. Plus, I have some wonderful sunset pictures from my friend’s cabin and some other good sky pictures that I can explore after I’m done with this class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment