Thursday, October 31, 2019

Three Is A Magic Number

When I do a series of timed paintings, I typically take an 8 inch square block and divide it into 4 equal parts for 4 different timed paintings. Every time it seems as though versions #1 and 4th are lacking. The 2nd version has some good stuff going on. The 3rd attempt is always the best one. Why is three the magic number?  I have no idea.

In a different realm, if I am part of juggling pattern with other club passers, it never fails that after a particularly good run of a new or complicated patterns the next several tries will fail right away.

My guess is that there is some scientific explanation  for all of this based upon how people's brains work.

#348 - Timed Pear Painting #3 - 4" x 4" - paper

I finished this one several days ago. The shadow is goofy, but besides that I like it. My attempt to use paint strokes to build the shape worked much better than usual, especially for a timed painting, I also liked the colors I mixed, since this was different pear from the last timed painting I posted. That previous pear was part of Saturday's dinner. By the way, the last painting I posted was version #2.

Last night, I finished painting #4 and also just played around with mixing pear colors and playing around with painting a pear without drawing it out first. None of this was particularly successful, but it still felt great to do.

Today, I went to a meeting of nonprofit financial types and worked on some quick, basic sketches of people, in margins of the handout when I got bored. Here are the two of them. While the poses are similar, it was two different people.


No comments:

Post a Comment