Thursday, March 8, 2018

Another One For Art 4 Shelter (And Another Revisit)

Art 4 Shelter is going to be at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, this year on May 9th. It's mind-boggling to think that I am sending in paintings for the 3rd year. I still feel like such a beginner. How could it be the 3rd time? It still does cause a little angst and causes the internal critic to make an appearance.

I went back to revisit the peony. The last time the decision to "suggest" a second flower at the bottom of the painting really annoyed me. I'm not sure if this was the editor or the critic, but I decided to give this one another go. This time I tried to "suggest" the irises in the background of the actual picture. Overall, I like this version better.

#189 - Peony - 5" x 7" - paper - standard palette
I also went back and added a few strokes to Dorian, the value cat. Two things bothered me in the original version. First, her chest didn't seem grounded enough. Second, the outline of her face on the left side seemed to just float in the world of black. I added some additional brush strokes and I like the end result better.


Take that internal critic!

No comments:

Post a Comment