Sunday, November 18, 2018

The Next Classroom Painting

This painting is from last week's class on 11/08, so I am still behind on my blogging. In last week's class, we painting on white canvas panel that we tinted with color before we started.  The first layer of tinting I did was a muddy color.  I think it was burnt umber. The next layer was mostly Pyroll Red Light with a little Titanate Yellow.  Both layers were really diluted with thinned down matte medium.

I'm still not getting how to work in this diluted, layered way, but by the end of class I was getting a tiny bit of insight.  It helped that Carl come over to help.  I also watched him paint when he helped the person sitting next to me.  When he demonstrated things, it was amazing how much he could change the character of an area with a few brush strokes.

#285 - Classroom Still Life - 11" x 14" - canvas panel
While he uses some of the same colors I use, I played with new paint colors.  Also, we used gloss medium (ick, ick, ick) rather than matte medium with the paint.  It was good to try, yet, another new thing.  I found the gloss medium to be too glossy, plus it makes it harder to figure otu when your paint is dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment