Monday, November 26, 2018

Pleased To Be Jet-Lagged

Yesterday afternoon, I returned from a 12-day vacation in London. It was a very, very good idea to take today off, as well, to unpack, do laundry, and generally recover from jet lag.

It was a fabulous vacation. I was with my hubby and 4 other friends. It was a good thing that I took notes each day of the things we did. Otherwise, I am not sure that I would remember it all. If time permits, I might do a few blog posts. Most likely, I will get busy with other things now that I'm back home, including getting back to drawing and painting and wanting to document that! However, I want to mention one of the most amazing exhibits from this trip.

The Tate Britain currently has an exhibit of Edward Burne-Jones which continues until February 2019. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wowwy, wow, wow.  One of my friends is a big fan of the Pre-Raphaelites. I am a fan of William Morris and the Arts and Crafts era, so this was right up my alley. I haven't studied up on Morris' contemporaries, so I didn't realize the connection until the night before we went.

I enjoyed the exhibit so much that I purchased the book about the exhibit in the gift shop. It was an extensive exhibit with more than 150 pieces. There were early pen and inks. There were unfinished paintings and studies. As beautiful as all of the finished work was, I especially enjoyed the studies.There were paintings in watercolor, gouache, and oil. There were tapestries and other forms of art, including jewelry.

There was something so spiritual and sensual about his work. It just drew me in and took my breath away.

I don't think it's legal for me to post copies of the pictures that I took, so I won't.  If you are interested, go look to the link above, since it shows two of my favorite works. You could also look at this wikiart link, search online, or borrow my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment