Monday, November 19, 2018

Many, Many, Many Layers Of Paint

After class on 11/08, I came home and painted another apple.  I wasn’t concerned about the shape. Was trying to get the feel for the paint and medium. It was amazing watching how Carl could change things so easily.

I started to play with my apple and tried to do the same by deliberately making a hard edge and going back later to try and soften it. I picked up wet paint and tried to fix the spot later.  I played with the apple color going from predominately greens and yellow to adding a lot of blue, magenta, brown, purple and back again. While I tried to stay true to the values, I never got the whole apple to work at the same time.  Sometimes the top worked, Sometimes the dark side worked.  Sometimes the light side worked.  The apple shape got distorted.  It didn't matter.  I would paint it all over and over and over again.   It was practicing.  It was play.  It was fun.  I stopped when it was time to feed the cats and go to bed and it didn't matter what point I stopped at. Yup, it looks like a cross between an apple and a pear. Plus, there's a hard edge and a splotchy part. Still, it just doesn't matter.

#286 - Layered Apple - 5" x 5" - paper

1 comment: