Sunday, September 2, 2018

Lots And Lots Of Timed Tomato Paintings

First up, timed orange tomato paintings. For all of these, I used a size 10 brush. For three of them, I gave myself 10 minutes. For the last one, I gave myself 8 minutes, which made me frantic. The one in the upper left-hand corner turned out the best to me and it's the first one I did. It was a busy week, so in this set I did one each day.

#257 - Timed Orange Tomatoes - 8" x 8" - paper

Next up are the timed red tomato paintings. I settled on 9 minutes for each one. This was the right amount of pressure. Ten minutes is becoming a little too long, but 8 minutes is not enough. For the first 3, I used a size 10 brush. Since I made the tomatoes small, I was having trouble with brush control especially with the foliage. For the last one, I used a size 8 brush. The last two on the bottom turned out better to me. The last one looks more apple-like, but the darks on the right side really work!.

#258 - Timed Red Tomatoes - 8" x 8" - paper
I did the first one on 08/31 and did not capture the shape or "weight" of it correctly. After I painted, I tried several quick value sketches of just the tomato. 

2 comments:

  1. They are all lovely in their own way and they all look juicy. I bought some sweet tangos at the market and they are yellow and some kind of red and I am sort of ready to paint an apple again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's certainly becoming apple season again and both apples and tomatoes give me a good reason to practice paint strokes, which help imply shape!

      Delete