Thursday, June 7, 2018

My Masterpiece

My masterpiece gets no respect from Hammett. Whenever I go to take a picture of a completed painting, one of the orange cats always appears and gets in the way. It must be part of their job description.


Here is the completed painting with no obstruction. It does seem like it's my masterpiece. It must be because it's so large. On the blog, of course, it looks like the same size of all of the other pictures I post, but in person it takes up a lot of space and makes a statement.

#227 - Dorian - 18" x 24" - hard board
This was a terrific learning experience, plus it was fun! I adore this cat. In truth, I adore all of them, but this one is the easiest one to love. Looking at this painting makes me smile.

I want to focus on painting landscapes, but I am also going to have to work on some additional, large cat paintings.

With any luck, I am purchasing my own easel tomorrow. It would be a floor model, not a table top version. It was on Craig's List and the price was right.

5 comments:

  1. That is STUNNING!!!!!! The whiskers! That expressive face! It's incredible. I also have a huge soft spot for Hammett (and all orange cats, as well as tuxedo cats, Siamese cats, giant cats, cats with disabilities. . .). I've been looking at landscapes everywhere I go and think about how would I paint THAT??? And looking at water reflections and clouds and leaves of trees in the sun. I've also been looking at spots for us for the 30th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am looking forward to the 30th. I also might try to get out and paint outside on my own.

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin - The whole time you have been learning to paint, I have been watching and wondering why you were painting such small pieces. I guess I didn't think to ask. I love painting big pieces. I can't paint small. I don't have the fine motor control and it makes me crazy - but BIG I can do. So maybe you should keep painting big because this painting is terrific! Maybe it will be easier for you too? We just got a new kitten from Swan's Island in Maine. Wait til you see him. Love the new easel. Peony scent is wafting in through the windows. See you soon. Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I don't mind painting small. At the same time painting large was very enjoyable! Have fun with the kitten! Robin

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Those eyes! And I love the background. It's really interesting without being "busy". Also love the gentle lighting highlighting the kitty. I should be braver about painting big - I only tried once (also a cat portrait) and I didn't like how it turned out at all, I think I need to get a bigger brush.

    ReplyDelete