Sunday, March 4, 2018

Finished Flower, Plus Cabin Sunset

I finished the second version of the pansy. It was interesting that this is the first time that I did not try to represent the little black lines that appear on the lower petals. Guess what! You don’t need them. I also added another layer of color in the flower petals. I think that helped.

#186 - Pansy in Pot - 6" x 6" - hardboard - alternative palette
Over time, I want to paint up a bunch of 6” x 6” paintings on hardboard. I want them to be of things which have some sort of meaning to me. The other day, I realized that much of the wood work in the living room and dining room is perfect for perching this very size of painting.  My goal is to fill these spaces with paintings over time and to make sure that they are not all paintings of cats.

Next up, I revisited a scene of a cabin sunset.

#187 - Sunset on Dock - 8" x 10" - paper - standard palette
While it's getting better, I still struggle with a complicated scene like this. In this version, I think that sunset and reflection of the sunset is much better than in the past. The sky and water look more distinct from one another, although I do think the far shoreline needs a tab more weight. That's all I'm going to say.

It would be easy to point out the things that I don't like. Unfortunately, I've been fighting some negative situations in life and it's spilled over into how I look at my paintings. This is temporary. It will pass. For now, I  am only willing to write down what I like or find positive as a way to also fight the negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment