Sunday, December 17, 2017

Something New

I've never tried to paint sheep before. This is from a picture of a sheep and a very sweet lamb that I took back in 2015 when I went to a class at Kristin Nicholas' farm house. It makes me wish that I had taken many, many more pictures of the sheep.

#169 - Sheep and Lamb - 5" x 7" paper - alternative palette
This was a bit of a challenge for a number of reasons including:

  • It was painted on a small surface, although I did use a smaller brush..
  • I have never painted sheep before. There are unique things about each animal that you figure out after awhile. 
  • There are two subjects close together. I still mostly play it safe and stick with one thing at a time. 
  • I'm transitioning back from 4-value paintings to trying to see more nuances than 4 values.
This may sound like a bunch of excuses, but it's not. I did find myself bouncing in my head between painting shapes and painting sheep. 

I'd like to revisit this one or a different sheet, but go for a larger size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment