Monday, October 9, 2017

Two Fresh Palettes At The Same Time - Urgh!!

We returned from the cabin today.  As I was putting away my painting stuff, I realized that I wore through the paper in the palette with my standard colors.  It's been a long, long time, since I've done that.  The paper in the Masterson's Sta Wet Palette is tough.  Plus, I think I used to mostly rub my paint through the paper rather than get it picked up in my brush.  Anyway, I had to set up palette 1 with fresh paint. In addition, palette 2 with the alternative blue paint is also really fresh.  A fresh palette is annoying.  Looking down at the white color of a fresh palette is unsettling, plus color mixing is easier when the palette has been used.  Lastly, it takes me a bit to get the right amount of moisture when I set up a new palette.

I finished the following painting up at the cabin, using palette number 2.  Since this palette is still too wet, my paints were runny and I needed extra layers of paint to build up the colors.  This is the first completed painting using the alternative blue paint.  It made mixing grays more challenging and I had trouble getting a neutral gray.  I'm not complaining.  It was fun!  It seems as though the ultramarine blue is not as powerful a color as the phthalo blue red shade.

#148 - Ella (8 x 8 using alternative blue)
I feel like I'm exaggerating the different values, but I'm not really.  It just seems that way, especially when the lightest values are really light.  When I'm painting them, they seem harsh, wrong, and way too light, but after a short time I can see how important this is.  I used to do this with my knitting at times.  I'd try to compensate my love of bright colors by sometimes picking colors where the values were too close.  It's taken a long time to recognize this habit.  Hopefully, I'm on the road to conquering it.  

I was going to post this one yesterday, but decided to wait.  I had to add back a tiny bit of black gesso to the eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment