Thursday, October 5, 2017

Six Months Of A Twelve Month Series

I worked at the Minnesota State Fair Foundation, so it was time to tackle a drawing of the historic bust on the front porch of the building. Each month, I spend 10 to 20 minutes on a quick sketch. This time I used a very different tool. Last week, I purchased a Pental Pocket Brush Pen, so I decided to use it for today's sketch. Even though it's new to me, I love it. The ink flows out of the pen so freely. I can see why Roz Stendahl gushes about this pen.

I am 6 months into this and my sketches have only the tiniest resemblance to the actual subject. That's okay. On a micro level, I don't warm up and it's the end of the work day. Sometimes, this is the only time that I try to tackle facial features in the month. On a macro level, it is still miraculous to me to be developing the skills to draw something like this. While there's still a lot to learn, it wasn't that long ago that I was petrified to put a line on a piece of paper. 

Month 6
My plan is to post my sketches on a quarterly basis, so here is the one from the beginning of September. I was a little uptight with this one and did some erasing, which leads to more erasing. Generally, I try to avoid that. It makes me start to doubt any line that I've put on a page.

Month 5
This one is from the beginning of August.

Month 4
Oh heck, I might as well post the first three sketches as well.

Month 3

Month 2
This is the one that started it all. I did this sketch while I was taking the on-line drawing class. The subject matter was so far out of my league, but I was really pleased with myself for giving it a try at the time. From there, I thought the once a month sketch would be an interesting way to see what changes in my sketches. I may just keep doing this for as long as I do work at this client.

Month 1

3 comments:

  1. So great to see your growth like this! Those pens are amazing~

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin - I too LOOOOOVE those Pentel Brush Pens. They are seriously gorgeous and I think I draw and paint better with them. The other things I have tried that I like are the Aquabrushes. Can't remember what brand but they have nice tips.
    Hope all is well. Love following along with you and watching your growth.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Art supplies are such fun! My next acquisition is going to be a watersoluable pencil. I love seeing all the flower pictures on your blog, although the flower season is almost up! Also, I can't wait for your new book to come out.

      Delete