Friday, June 16, 2017

The Output Is Not The Point

Yesterday, I sketched for closer to an hour. I've been thinking about and practicing refining an initial sketch to better reflect the actual object and making hatch marks that support both value and shape. It's been slow going. On Wednesday night, I used a viewfinder to draw out a beet and paint it. It seriously felt like I took several steps backwards. Rather than get frustrated or mad, I shook it off. In Roz's class, we spent a lot of time dealing with the internal critic.

Yesterday, I sketching that same beet several times from different angles and I also worked on several sketches of a partial red pepper. While the beet is a rather simple shape, a cut-up pepper has a ridiculous amount of complexity.

I'm not sure that anything shows in the two sample sketches below, but it felt different. I was able to slow down and focus in a way that's been missing. Measuring the relationships and angles with my eyes or, on my earlier versions, with dotted lines worked better. I also practiced and practiced and practiced hatch marks. It got to the point it started to make the tiniest bit of sense which way to try and make hatch marks in a way that would help show shape in addition to the value.

Again, I don't think it necessarily shows, but that's not really the point. I'm practicing.

This beet sketch does a pretty good job of showing the shape of the actual beet. It's not finished. I didn't even complete the shadow, because I learned what I could from it and was ready to move on.


For the partial pepper, it took me so many lines to get the true outer shape that it's a bit of a mess, but the hatch marks on the left side flowed off my pen more easily. They also worked much better, except for the ones long the edge. For those it would be better if they followed the long line of the edge rather than cutting across it. I'm not saying that to be critical. It's part of learning what will work better.

.
Also, I have no illusions that this will all flow more easily for now on. Progress does not follow a straight path.

No comments:

Post a Comment