Thursday, June 22, 2017

Finally!

Here is Sadie.


I first tried to paint her in August 2016.  At this point, I had been painting for about 6 months. 


Since that time, I tried again, 


and again, 


and again, 



I cropped the picture differently and tried again.


I tried one more time last night. Painting the same picture helps me see how I'm doing. All of the drawing that I've been doing has helped me. There is still so much room for improvement, but I feel like my skills have taken a step forward. The things I like best are the eyes, the muzzle, and the color.  For some reason, I've tended to make my oranges and browns muddy and that's how this painting started, but I went back and changed it. My darkest values may be a little extreme, but that works better than now having enough range in the values. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow Robin - You can really see your improvement! Keep at it. I like the pattern in the background simulating the grass. Awesome! I look at your blog frequently - it is so cool to see your progress.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I enjoyed your blog post about graduation and your subsequent post about your trip to Maine! I hope it was rejuvenating.

      Delete