Friday, April 21, 2017

30 Day Brush Pen Challenge - Recap 2

On purpose, I tried to sketch the items on one shelf above the sink. This drawing is fairly small and was done with the brush pen.  Blah.

Day 5 - shelf with object
This is the bathroom sink. This was a good scene to draw.  Usually, I sketch one single object. I want to work on more "scenes". This offered the right amount of detail to tackle.

Day 6 - bathroom sink
It's been a difficult to share these drawings on the blog. This one is the first one that I feel even remotely good about. It's easy to become self-conscious. However, the intent of this blog is to not present "the good stuff". It's about documenting it all. It gives me an easy way to look back and, also, gives me the freedom to discard a sketchbook when I'm done with it.

At the same time, I think my ability to see and notice is getting better and more varied. When I first started all of this, an individual object just looked like one big, overall shape to me. Slowly over time, I am starting to see nuances in different ways. With painting and trying to capture values, I'm learning to see shapes within shapes. Blind contour drawing or pseudo-blind contour drawing has helped me notice edges and the outer shapes of things. More and more, I notice shapes within the negative space that falls between object. Recently, I can feel myself switch between looking at the edges of things and looking at the negative space between objects. It's pretty cool stuff. It's better to not let any self-consciousness take over. Instead, I need to just keep at it and welcome any new changes and discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment