Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ella In Repose

This is my lovely cat, Ella. She was facing a window where the sunlight was pouring in, making some interesting shadows on her right side.


Cheerleader:
  • I like the drama of the lights and darks and that I left the black gesso showing through on one entire side. 
  • The painting also "reads" as Ella to me. 
Editor:
  • While it's been wonderful to be painting, I haven't been pleased with my paint strokes. These aren't too bad, since Ella is a very sleek cat. Even so, I could use some more feathery strokes for the tufts coming out of her ears. I've been paying more attention to shapes and my paint strokes are a bit too exact and "blocky" in capturing the exact shape. I'd like to be lighter and suggest more.
Having time to paint is going to become difficult. While I was tempted to sign up for the next sessions of Kat's painting classes, I was going to miss too many of them. Instead, I signed up for Sketchbook Skool's class called Seeing. Starting Monday and for the next 6 weeks, I expect to be sketching a lot. If I have limited time to paint, I may try to do 3 or so negative space trees each week. There's very little set up. I can play with mixing colors and also with paint strokes. Plus, they are fun to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment